Making sense of CMS guidelines is more challenging than ever after the launch of OASIS-E and the abundance of changes that go along with it. KanTime’s OASIS Spotlight series will spotlight specific OASIS items to simplify the ruling and help clinicians significantly improve their understanding of OASIS so they can move forward with accuracy.
D0700: Social Isolation
D0700: Social Isolation is intended to identify a patient’s perceived lack of contact with other people.
Per the OASIS Guidance Manual: “Social isolation tends to increase with age, is a risk factor for physical and mental illness, and a predictor of mortality.”
- Start of Care
- Resumption of Care
- Discharge from Agency
How often do you feel lonely or isolated from those around you?
- Code 0, Never, if the patient indicates never feeling lonely or isolated from others
- Code 1, Rarely, if the patient indicates rarely feeling lonely or isolated from others
- Code 2, Sometimes, if the patient indicates sometimes feeling lonely or isolated from others
- Code 3, Often, if the patient indicates often feeling lonely or isolated from others
- Code 4, Always, if the patient indicates always feeling lonely or isolated from others
- Code 7, Patient declines to respond, if the patient declines to respond
- Code 8, Patient unable to respond, if the patient is unable to respond
- Dash is not a valid response for this item
Note: This item should only be self-reported, no other source but the patient should be used.
Stay tuned for next Monday’s spotlight so your practice can continue to stay ahead of the curve and provide elite patient care through the Oasis E changes.
We provide clinicians that are part of the Kantime enterprise system with links to the guidance from CMS for each individual OASIS item.
If you would like to learn more about how better happens, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a demo.