Making sense of CMS guidelines is more challenging than ever after the launch of OASIS-E and the abundance of changes that go along with it. KanTime’s OASIS Spotlight series will spotlight specific OASIS items to simplify the ruling and help clinicians significantly improve their understanding of OASIS so they can move forward with accuracy.
CMS has included race and other social determinants of health information in the OASIS data collection process to help improve understanding of disparities in healthcare outcomes, and to address those through more accurate data collection and equal comparisons.
The goal is to improve the quality of care and outcomes for all.
If a patient seems hesitant to make a selection, be sure they understand that these categories are NOT used to determine eligibility for participation in any Federal program.
- Start of Care
Clinicians should ask the patient to select the category or categories that most closely identify their race and for A1010 you should mark ALL responses that apply.
What is your race?
Codes A-N, List specific race options
Code X, Patient unable to respond
Code Y, Patient declines to respond
Code Z, None of the above
Dash IS NOT a valid response for this item.
If the patient can provide a response:
- Check all that apply
- Check the box(es) for indicating the race category or categories identified by the patient.
If a patient is unable to respond
- A proxy response may be used
- If the response(s) is/are determined via proxy input check all boxes that apply, including Code X – Patient unable to respond.
If neither the patient nor a proxy is able to respond
- Use medical record documentation
- If the response(s) is/are determined via medical documentation, check all boxes that apply, including Code X – Patient unable to respond.
If the patient is unable to respond and no other resources are utilized
- Code X – Patient unable to respond, only.
If the patient declines to respond
- Code Y, Patient declines to respond ONLY
- DO NOT code based on a proxy response or medical record documentation.
If the patient reports or it is determined from proxy or medical record documentation that none of the listed races apply to the patient
- Code Z, None of the above
We provide clinicians that are part of the KanTime enterprise system with links to the guidance from CMS for each individual OASIS item.
If you would like to learn more about #howbetterhappens